Lawn and Garden Activities for Winter
It’s cold outside, but that doesn’t mean your lawn and garden projects can’t be completed. Shake off those winter blues and enjoy the outdoors this season with these fun and helpful lawn activities!
- Take Inventory – Winter can be considered the “off-season” for outdoor landscaping projects, which means lawn and gardening tools can likely be found at discounted prices. Take an inventory of the tools you currently have, and note the condition of them. If any of your tools look like they might not last another season, replace them during the winter and enjoy their newness and efficiency come spring.
- Build a Greenhouse – If you’ve got the budget and space for it, consider building a greenhouse in your backyard. It’ll offer protection to your plants so that you can care for them during the cold months, while still allowing them to absorb natural light from the sun.
- Make a Bird Feeder – Birds can withstand cold temperatures so you’ll still see them hanging around throughout the winter, but the cold does make it more difficult for them to find food. Crafting a bird feeder is simple and doesn’t require many materials, and the fact that you’ll be saving birds from the harsh cold will be greatly rewarding.
- Decorate Your Garden – As the weather gets colder, grass, flowers, trees, and other plants lose life, robbing your landscape of color and vibrancy. Decorating your garden with anything from holly plants to string lights can make your yard feel much brighter and full of life.
- Plan for the Spring – Take a look around your yard and start brainstorming ways you can redesign or add to your lawn and garden once warm weather arrives. Consider a vegetable garden that will provide food throughout the summer, or make plans to fill in empty spaces with flowering bushes or small trees.
- Start a Garden Journal – Take notes on what you planted last year and how each plant grew and changed. Note what was successful and how certain plants could be cared for better. Consult gardening books and magazines for inspiration.
The Best in Lawn Services
Looking for garden maintenance in Westminster? Hilltop Lawn has been providing lawn and landscaping services to customers all over Carroll County for many years. We deliver honest, quality service to customers in need of lawn maintenance and are a great resource for all of your outdoor landscaping projects. Contact us today for a free estimate for lawn service, or to inquire about the other services we offer.